Friday, January 16, 2009

Holy Mother of God, pray for us

Annunciation- G. Rosetti

He whom the entire universe could not contain was contained within your womb,
O Theotokos. (ancient hymn of the Church)

Statue in the Mission of Nombre de Dios and Our Lady of La Leche Shrine



Loving Mother, dispenser of endless blessings,You who continuously intercedes on our behalf,Please present my need before your loving Son Jesus.

Icon of the Wedding at Cana


Thou hast raised me from bed and sleep, O Lord; enlighten my mind and heart, and open my lips, that I may praise Thee, O Holy Trinity: Holy, Holy, Holy art Thou, O God. For the sake of the Mother of God, have mercy upon us.

(City mural- Gadjo Dilo)


I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the martyrdom which your generous heart endured in standing near Jesus in his agony. Dear Mother, by your afflicted heart, obtain for me the virtue of temperance and the gift of counsel.



Queen of heaven, rejoice, alleluia.The Son whom you merited to bear, alleluia,has risen as he said, alleluia.Pray to God for us, alleluia.
Rejoice and be glad, O Virgin Mary, alleluia.For the Lord has truly risen, alleluia.


Coptic Icon of the Fiftieth Day


The Holy Spirit loved you as his mystical spouse,and he filled you with singular gifts. You allowed yourself to be led by his hidden and powerful action.- JP2



Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary- Altarpiece in Padua- 1448


"All human generations bless you, O Mother of God. The laws of nature were overcome in you, O Pure Virgin: for your birth-giving left you a virgin, and your death became the herald of your life. O you who remained virgin after giving birth, and alive after having died, O Mother of God, deign always to save your inheritance."

Remember, O gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of Virgins and my Mother; to thee I come, before thee I kneel, sinful and sorrowful; O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.



No comments: